Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field
The Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic, held each spring (March 22-23 in 2019), is recognized as one of the top high school track and field classics in the Southeast region. Since 1993, this event has been the largest high school track and field invitational in Louisiana, featuring over 100 boys’ and girls’ teams and 2,000 student-athletes from Louisiana and surrounding states. The event is held in Tad Gormley Stadium, a recently-renovated facility which has hosted numerous track and field events, including the U.S. Olympic Trials. Admission is $7 per day while children 12 and under may enter free of charge.
Entries for the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic open Saturday, March 16 at 8:00 AM. All entries must be submitted online no later than 8:00 PM on Tuesday, March 19. Visit the official meet site for full information.
“Since coming on board in 1996 as the sponsor, the Sugar Bowl has made it possible to transform what was once a modest local event into one of the premiere high school track & field meets in the country,” said meet director Mike Corn. “The Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic has become a fixture on the schedule of many teams from throughout the South and continues to generate greater and greater interest nationwide. I think that the Sugar Bowl Committee recognized some time ago that high school sports are vital to our community and they have made a financial commitment to student athletes who take part in those sports, providing them with opportunities to compete in first class events that most probably would not have otherwise.”
McGill-Toolen Catholic High School and Edna Karr High School were the girls’ and boys’ winners, respectively, at the 2018 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic, which wrapped up on a sunny, but windy, Saturday at Tad Gormley Stadium. The McGill-Toolen girls had a dominant performance, finishing with 100 points to earn its first championship in the event since 2003. Whitehaven High School of Memphis, Tenn., earned second place with 58 points, while Edna Karr (48 points) was third in the girls’ division. Edna Karr captured the boys’ championship in a tightly-contested event that came down to the 4×400 relay, the final event of the day. The Cougars finished with 55 points to edge St. Augustine, which had 45 points and John Curtis (42.5 points). It was Edna Karr’s first championship in the meet.
- 2018: McGill-Toolen and Edna Karr Capture Titles at Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2017: Weather Halts Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2016: First Time Winners for Both Boys and Girls at Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2015: Hoover Sweeps Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Titles
- 2014: Out-of-State Schools Capture Allstate Sugar Bowl Track Classic Titles
- 2013: Records Fall at Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2012: Curtis and St. Paul’s Win Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Titles
- 2011: Out-of-State Schools Capture Titles at 2011 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track Classic
- 2010: Individuals Shine at 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2009: No event due to stadium renovations
- 2008: Outstanding Performances Highlight 2008 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track Classic
- 2007: 2007 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic Results
- 2006: 2006 Allstate Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic Results
- 2005: Ruston High Sweeps Titles at Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2004: Louisiana Schools Win at 2004 Sugar Bowl Track & Field Classic
- 2003: Alabama and Texas Schools Win Titles at 2003 Sugar Bowl Track Classic
- 2002: Hoover Collects Third Straight Sugar Bowl Title, Baton Rouge Girls Also Win
- 2001: Mandeville Girls Win Sugar Bowl Track Championship; Hoover Takes Boys’ Title
- 2000: Out-of-State Schools Take Both Sugar Bowl Track Titles for First Time