Minnesota School Wins Great Oaks Regatta park
High schools from Minnesota and South Carolina were the winners of the 12th Annual Great Oaks Regatta, sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl this past weekend. Minnetonka High School from Excelsior, Minn., and Wando High School from Mt. Pleasant, S.C., captured the titles in the event hosted by the Southern Yacht Club on Lake Ponchartrain from Nov. 13-15.
Nine races were sailed in both Gold and Silver fleets. Conditions were light and variable winds from the northeast around 5 knots. The air temperature was 75 degrees and the water temperature was 77 degrees. Minnetonka was the overall winner of both the Great Oaks Trophy and the Babs and Larry White Trophy for the best performance by a first time team.
The event featured 27 teams and over 100 sailors. Each school sails one boat with two sailors. Team members may be substituted between races. The school with the lowest combined score from the full slate of races is declared the winner.
The next regatta event on tap for the Allstate Sugar Bowl is the Optimist Mid-Winters, slated for Nov. 28-29, also at the Southern Yacht Club on Lake Ponchartrain.
The original Sugar Bowl Regatta has been held on Lake Ponchartrain every year since 1935, except during World War II.
2009 Allstate Sugar Bowl Great Oaks Regatta
Final ResultsGold Division
1. Minnetonka High, Excelsior, MN (36 points)
2. Oconomowoc High, Oconomowoc, WI (42 points)
3. St. John Prep, Danvers, MA (50 points)
4. Ft. Lauderdale High, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (51 points)
5. Shorecreat High, St. Petersburg, FL (62 points)
6. St. Croix Country Day, Kingshill, Virgin Islands (64 points)
7. Tampa Jesuit High, Tampa, FL (70 points)
8. North Kingstown High, Jamestown, RI (71 points)
9. St. Pius X High, Suwanee, GA (74 points)
10. Falmouth High, Falmouth, ME (77 points)
11. Hilton Head High, Hilton Head, SC (79 points)
12. Wellesley High, Wellesley, MA (80 points)
13. Shelter Island High, Shelter Island, NY (90 points)
14. Highland Park High, Highland Park, IL (114 points)
1. Wando High, Mt. Pleasant, SC (26 points)
2. Marquette High, Milwaukee, WI (29 points)
3. Academy of the Sacred Heart, New Orleans, LA (29 points)
4. Mandeville High, Mandeville, LA (29 points)
5. Bishop England High, Charleston, SC (37 points)
6. Bellaire High, Houston, TX (55 points)
7. St. Stanislaus High, Bay St. Louis, MI (69 points)
8. Venice High, Venice, FL (76 points)
9. Northwest Classen High, Oklahoma City, OK (87 points)
10. St. Louis Catholic, Lake Charles, LA (91 points)
11. Ft. Walton High, Ft. Walton Beach, FL (93 points)
12. Choctawatchee High, Ft. Walton Beach, FL (95 points)
13. Niceville High, Niceville, FL (103 points)