Charlie GilbertBaseball Player, 1937-47
Jesuit High School/MLB
- All-prep in baseball, basketball and track at Jesuit High School, and captain of both baseball and basketball teams.
- Played in the American World Series Little World Series in 1932 and won the honor of the nation's outstanding player.
- Debuted in the Major Leagues for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1940 after making the Southern Association All-Star team with the Nashville Vols.
- Played one year with Brooklyn, four with the Chicago Cubs (1941-43, 1946) and one year with the Philadelphia Phillies (1947).
- Appeared in 364 career Major League games, batting .229 with five home runs, 109 runs scored and 55 runs batted in.
- The son of Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Famer Larry Gilbert.
- Born July 8, 1919 and died Aug. 13, 1983 at the end of 64.