|Austin WilsonSportswriter, 1972-92
Tulane University/Associated Press
- Joined the Associated Press in New Orleans in 1972 and was named Louisiana sports editor soon afterward, subsequently covering most major sporting events in the South, including every Super Bowl and Final Four played in New Orleans. He covered the opening of the Louisiana Superdome in 1975 and every Saints home game since.
- A former Tulane lineman, also regularly covered Green Wave, University of New Orleans, and LSU games.
- Also covered major news events, including the Howard Johnson sniper incident in downtown New Orleans in 1973, the Pan Am airliner crash in 1982 and the 1988 fire at the historic Cabildo in the French Quarter.
- Died in August of 1992 at the age of 58.
- Collected the Distinguished Service Award in Sports Journalism from the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in 1993.