Marty BurkeBoxing, 1912-48
- A New Orleans native who began fighting in 1912 at the age of 15, winning titles such as the 90-lb Championship of the South (1912), the Bantamweight Championship of the South (1913) and the Lightweight Championship of the South (1915).
- Won the 1918 National AAU Middleweight championship by defeating Sam Lagonia.
- He went on to win the AAU Heavyweight title in 1919 with a defeat of P. Searle in Massachusetts.
- As a professional, recorded a career mark of 58-33-8 with 23 knockouts between 1919 and 1929.
- Also served as a sparring partner for Jack Dempsey.
- After his fighting career, promoted boxing and wrestling events in New Orleans.
- Born Sept. 10, 1897 and died Sept. 18, 1978 at the age of 81.