Tony CanzoneriBoxer, 1926-39
- Born in Slidell, family moved to Staten Island when he was a teenager.
- One of the few boxers who can claim winning titles in three or more divisions, he was a three-time world champion and held a total of five world titles.
- Fought a total of 175 times, posting a record of 141-24-10 with 44 knockouts.
- Won the World Featherweight title on Feb. 10, 1928 with a 15-round decision over Benny Bass.
- On Nov. 14, 1930, knocked out Al Singer in the first round to capture the World Lightweight Championship.
- Knocked out Jack Kid Berg in the third round on April 24, 1931 to add the World Light Welterweight title - he is one of only three boxers to hold two or more world titles simultaneously.
- Also a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
- Born Nov. 6, 1908 and died on Dec. 9, 1959 at age 51.